Data Collection, Your IP Address and Cookies
GFC does not require visitors to its websites to register or provide any personally identifying information in order to view any of its webpages. Many visitors to the GFC websites use the resources found there for their own education and reflection. Unless a visitor voluntarily provides personally identifying information online for the purpose of making a financial donation, making a purchase, using the “forward to a friend” function, or requesting further information regarding The Global Fund for Children, only the following, non–personally identifying information will be gathered about her or his use of a GFC website:
- The addresses of the websites that the person came from and goes to
- The pages visited on the GFC site
- The type of web browser used by the visitor
- The time and date of each visit
- The IP address of the computer used to gain access to the GFC website (an IP address is a number automatically assigned to a computer each time the computer is used to surf the Internet)
Credit card transactions require the input of personally identifying information, including but not limited to name, residential and email addresses, phone number, and credit card number. This personally identifying information is sometimes, though not always, communicated to GFC by third-party processing companies, and when received by GFC, is subject to utmost security and disclosure policy standards.
Information Security and Disclosure Policy
The statistical and personally identifying information received by GFC as a result of a visitor’s use of GFC websites will be gathered by GFC solely for internal purposes, such as helping GFC understand how its websites are accessed and how they might be improved. None of the statistical, non–personally identifying information collected by GFC will be used by GFC to identify a visitor or be linked to any personally identifying information about the visitor. GFC’s contact database is hidden behind a firewall, is not accessible via the internet, is password protected and only accessed by authorized GFC personnel. When such information is provided by a parent or guardian and/or for acknowledgment of or shipping of a gift, GFC will use the information only for those limited purposes. Acknowledgment may include mailings of GFC’s own materials, such as annual reports, which list donors who do not desire anonymity and those in whose honor donations were made.
GFC does not rent, exchange, or sell to third parties any of the information that visitors provide online. GFC will only share personally identifying information with third parties when the person submitting the information authorizes GFC to do so or when GFC is required to do so by law.
GFC will remove your name from our mailing list or email list at any time, at your request.
The Global Fund for Children is committed to respecting the privacy of its financial donors, whether the donation is made online, by mail, or any other method. When you make a financial donation, you provide standard payment information including your name and contact information and, in many circumstances, credit card data. We protect your information in a variety of ways:
We use industry standard safeguards to protect your information. Many donors use credit cards for donations. We protect the security of credit card transactions using a number of measures such as encryption and access controls which make it extremely difficult for anyone to intercept the credit card information you send to us. When we work with other companies to process credit card transactions, those companies also use encryption and other security measures.
We will not sell, share or trade our donors’ personal information with any other entity. In addition, we will not send mailings to our donors on behalf of other organizations, unless a donor has given us specific permission to do so.
The Global Fund for Children has vendors that assist with processing and managing donations and donor data. On occasion we give these vendors access to donor data, and they are bound by strict confidentiality rules.
The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) protects the personally identifying information of children under the age of 13. COPPA extends protection to personally identifying information collected online, including name, residential and email addresses, and telephone number, as well as to information about hobbies and interests when linked to personally identifying information. In accordance with COPPA, GFC is deeply committed to ensuring the safety of all children, and to the protection of their personally identifying information.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Online purchases of Global Fund for Children books are processed through Amazon.
Terms and Conditions
1. By accessing any webpage operated by the Global Fund for Children, you indicate your agreement to the following terms and conditions of usage. If you do not agree to any of these provisions, please do not use the websites operated by GFC. GFC reserves the right to change, modify, add, or delete portions of these terms at any time. From time to time, GFC may amend provisions of this policy, and you must consult the most recent version of this User Agreement each time you view the website.
Ownership, Copyright, and Trademark Information
2. All materials on the websites operated by the Global Fund for Children, including but not limited to images, text, data, graphics, sounds, videos, software, and other forms and formats now known or later invented (hereinafter “Contents”), are the intellectual property of, or being used with permission by, the Global Fund for Children. You may view, copy, and/or print the Contents for your personal, noncommercial entertainment, information, and education, subject to the following prohibitions:
(i) you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices;
(ii) you make no modifications to any material;
(iii) you do not use the materials in a manner that suggests an association not specifically authorized by GFC with any of its products, services, or brands.
3. Except as indicated in paragraph 2 above, you may not reproduce, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, license, publicly perform, display, modify, create derivative works from, or use or exploit the Contents of any website operated by GFC. Your unauthorized use of any portion of the Contents of a GFC-operated website may infringe upon the rights of GFC or of third parties not affiliated with GFC, and may result in civil and/or criminal liability. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions should be construed as conferring any right to use or manipulate trademarked or copyrighted Contents of a GFC website.
4. The Global Fund for Children reserves the right, without any limitation whatsoever, to investigate any suspected breaches of its website security, internal information technology systems, or of these Terms and Conditions. GFC further reserves the right to involve and cooperate with law enforcement authorities in any investigation, and to prosecute any violations of these Terms, applicable laws or common law rights, to the fullest extent possible under applicable laws.
Disclaimer of Warranties and Indemnification
5. The Contents of all websites operated by the Global Fund for Children are provided as is and as available, without express or implied warranty as to merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. To the greatest extent allowed by applicable law, GFC disclaims any warranty that the Contents of any page will be available on an uninterrupted or error-free basis; that defects will be corrected; that Contents of the sites are accurate as of any particular date; and that GFC’s websites or the server that makes them available are free of computer viruses or other harmful components or conditions. The Global Fund for Children will not be liable for any direct, incidental, consequential, indirect, or punitive damages arising from your use of its websites. However, in certain states the law may not allow GFC to limit or exclude liability for certain of these damages. In any case, GFC’s liability for all losses, damages, injuries, and claims of any kind, resulting from claims brought under any legal theory, shall not be greater than the amount you have paid to access GFC-operated websites.
6. You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Global Fund for Children from and against any and all claims, damages, costs, and expenses, including attorney’s fees, caused to be levied or brought by any party and arising from or related to your use of any GFC-operated website. Special Uses: Online Store and Donations
8. You agree to grant The Global Fund for Children the nonexclusive and unlimited right to reprint, use directly, or make derivative use of any comments, feedback, submissions, or other information communicated to the Global Fund for Children through its websites (hereinafter “Feedback”). The Global Fund for Children shall not be required to treat Feedback as confidential, and shall be entitled to use Feedback for any commercial or noncommercial purpose permitted to it without compensation to you or any other person contributing to Feedback. You acknowledge by submitting Feedback that you own whatever content you submit, and that GFC’s use of your Feedback will not infringe upon the rights of any third person. Links from GFC Websites
9. Websites operated by the Global Fund for Children may contain links to other websites that are not under GFC’s control. GFC is not responsible for the accuracy, relevancy, copyright compliance, legality, or any other aspect of the content of those websites. The inclusion of any links does not imply an endorsement or approval by GFC of any website, product, or service. Links to GFC Websites
10. You are granted a limited, nonexclusive, revocable right to create hyperlinks to websites operated by GFC, subject to the following conditions:
(i) the links and related content on your website do not suggest any affiliation with the Global Fund for Children or cause confusion among consumers;
(ii) the links and related content on your website do not portray the Global Fund for Children in a false, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise offensive manner;
(iii) the links and related content on your website are not operated for any commercial purpose. Revisions to GFC-Operated Websites
11. The Global Fund for Children reserves the right to make changes, modifications, additions to, and deletions from the Content available on its websites at any time, at its discretion. This right includes but is not limited to the right to discontinue for perpetuity or any limited period the availability of any websites, and of any products and services offered on its websites. General Provisions
12. These Terms and Conditions, and any dispute arising under them, shall be construed and resolved under the laws of the United States of America and of the State of North Carolina. If any provision of this agreement is unlawful, void, or unenforceable, the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions shall not be affected.
13. These Terms and Conditions are effective until terminated by either party. You may terminate your agreement to these Terms at any time by discontinuing use of all GFC-operated websites and destroying all Contents obtained from any and all such websites. Your access to any and all GFC-operated websites may be terminated immediately without notice if it is believed, in GFC’s sole discretion, that you have failed to comply with any of the foregoing Terms and Conditions. In the event that your access to GFC-operated websites is terminated, you must cease use of such websites and destroy any Content you have obtained from the websites.
The Global Fund for Children
1101 14th St., NW, Suite 420
Washington, DC 20005 USA
Phone: (202) 331-9003
Fax: (202) 331-9004